I'm currently trying to make a mobile game (android) in which the player movement around a scene consists of pre-rendered video clips that are triggered when a certain direction is selected by the user. This approach is very much inspired by certain classic games that made use of pre-rendered backgrounds and video clips - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsH4_8NyGco&t=717s?
I have created a script to set the video player frame to the relevant point in a video clip in order to play these transitions when required, however the issue that I am facing is that once loaded onto an android device, there is a very much noticeable delay between the video frame being chosen and the video playing.
It seems to me as if it takes the unity video player a certain amount of time to skip to a certain point in the video, which causes this delay between the command and the output. I have tried to reduce this time by creating individual clips, encoding in a range of different codecs and making sure to use unity's 'Prepare' function at the start of the scene, however I'm still yet to be able create the smooth transition that I am after.
Might anyone have any advice that they could kindly offer? I have searched all over and found a number of similar posts on forums, but have yet to find any real solution to this issue.