I use the below code from Databricks itself on how to run its notebook in parallel in Scala, https://docs.databricks.com/notebooks/notebook-workflows.html#run-multiple-notebooks-concurrently . I am trying to add retry feature where if one of the notebooks in the sequence failed, it will retry that notebook based on the retry value I passed to it.
Here is the parallel notebook code from Databricks:
//parallel notebook code
import scala.concurrent.{Future, Await}
import scala.concurrent.duration._
import scala.util.control.NonFatal
case class NotebookData(path: String, timeout: Int, parameters: Map[String, String] = Map.empty[String, String])
def parallelNotebooks(notebooks: Seq[NotebookData]): Future[Seq[String]] = {
import scala.concurrent.{Future, blocking, Await}
import java.util.concurrent.Executors
import scala.concurrent.ExecutionContext
import com.databricks.WorkflowException
val numNotebooksInParallel = 5
// If you create too many notebooks in parallel the driver may crash when you submit all of the jobs at once.
// This code limits the number of parallel notebooks.
implicit val ec = ExecutionContext.fromExecutor(Executors.newFixedThreadPool(numNotebooksInParallel))
val ctx = dbutils.notebook.getContext()
Future.sequence(
notebooks.map { notebook =>
Future {
dbutils.notebook.setContext(ctx)
if (notebook.parameters.nonEmpty)
dbutils.notebook.run(notebook.path, notebook.timeout, notebook.parameters)
else
dbutils.notebook.run(notebook.path, notebook.timeout)
}
.recover {
case NonFatal(e) => s"ERROR: ${e.getMessage}"
}
}
)
}
This is an example of how I am calling the above code to run multiple examples notebooks:
import scala.concurrent.Await
import scala.concurrent.duration._
import scala.language.postfixOps
val notebooks = Seq(
NotebookData("Notebook1", 0, Map("client"->client)),
NotebookData("Notebook2", 0, Map("client"->client))
)
val res = parallelNotebooks(notebooks)
Await.result(res, 3000000 seconds) // this is a blocking call.
res.value