In the default behavior of editing a cell in a QtableView, when the user clicks away either to another widget or closes the form, the edits are lost. After a lot of googling, I have found a way to save the edits if the user selects another widget in the form, but if the form is closed, the edits are still lost. The blog post is here.
I attempted to call the closeEditor method from the forms closeEvent, but it requires two parameters: the editor and hint. I can provide QAbstractItemDelegate.NoHint but the editor is expecting the QlineEdit object where the editing is taking place. I am lost on how to provide this for the cell currently being edited.
Here is a gif of the current behaviour:

My question is how do I provide the QlineEdit of the cell being edited?
import sys
from PyQt5.QtCore import *
from PyQt5.QtGui import *
from PyQt5.QtSql import *
from PyQt5.QtWidgets import *
from phones import *
class Main(QMainWindow):
def __init__(self, parent=None):
QMainWindow.__init__(self, parent)
self.resize(490, 998)
self.layoutWidget = QWidget(self)
self.layoutWidget.setObjectName("layoutWidget")
self.verticalLayout = QtWidgets.QVBoxLayout(self.layoutWidget)
self.horizontalLayout_7 = QtWidgets.QHBoxLayout()
self.new_phone = QtWidgets.QPushButton(self.layoutWidget)
self.new_phone.setObjectName("new_phone")
self.new_phone.setText("New Phone")
self.horizontalLayout_7.addWidget(self.new_phone)
self.delete_phone = QtWidgets.QPushButton(self.layoutWidget)
self.delete_phone.setObjectName("delete_phone")
self.delete_phone.setText("Delete phone")
self.horizontalLayout_7.addWidget(self.delete_phone)
self.verticalLayout.addLayout(self.horizontalLayout_7)
self.phone_view = Syn_tableview()
self.verticalLayout.addWidget(self.phone_view)
self.cont_id = '9'
self.setCentralWidget(self.layoutWidget)
self.new_phone.clicked.connect(self.add_phone)
self.populate_phones()
def populate_phones(self):
self.phone_model = QSqlTableModel(self)
self.phone_model.setTable("contact_phones")
self.phone_model.setFilter("contact_id='{0}'".format(self.cont_id))
self.phone_model.select()
self.phone_view.setModel(self.phone_model)
self.phone_view.resizeColumnsToContents()
def add_phone(self):
self.phone_model.submitAll()
self.phone_model.setEditStrategy(QSqlTableModel.OnManualSubmit)
row = self.phone_model.rowCount()
record = self.phone_model.record()
record.setGenerated('id', False) #primary key
record.setValue('contact_id', self.cont_id) #foreign key
self.phone_model.insertRecord(row, record)
phone_index_edit = self.phone_model.index(row, self.phone_model.fieldIndex('phone_number'))
self.phone_view.edit(phone_index_edit)
def closeEvent(self, event):
submit = self.phone_model.submitAll()
#This is the problem
self.phone_view.closeEditor("QLineEdit", QAbstractItemDelegate.NoHint)
class Syn_tableview(QTableView):
def __init__(self, *args, **kwargs):
QTableView.__init__(self, *args, **kwargs)
def closeEditor(self, editor, hint):
if hint == QAbstractItemDelegate.NoHint:
QTableView.closeEditor(self, editor,
QAbstractItemDelegate.SubmitModelCache)
if __name__=="__main__":
app=QApplication(sys.argv)
db = QSqlDatabase.addDatabase("QPSQL");
db.setHostName(server)
db.setDatabaseName(database)
db.setUserName(user)
db.setPassword(pword)
myapp = Main()
myapp.show()
sys.exit(app.exec_())