While committing the file to GitHub.It is not taking the user.name configured to Git. And instead using the username of GitHub. Why is it so?

Viewed 50

I have used "themisslady" as my username for GitHub. In Git, I have configured the following user.name to Git, using this command---- git config global user.name "Miss lady". The email id configured with Git is same as that of GitHub.

I am using RStudio and while committing the file from within RStudio to GitHub, I am getting this notification-------themisslady committed the file xyz. While I thought it should have said -----Miss lady committed the file xyz.

git version---2.27.0.windows.1

Rstudio version-----

R version 3.5.3 (2019-03-11) Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

Running under: Windows >= 8 x64 (build 9200)

Please answer why is it happening like this.

1 Answers

There could be some problem with your config file. Please run in Terminal, PowerShell or Windows CMD:

 git config --list

and check that your user name is really there.

If not, run again:

git config --global user.name "Miss lady"

(maybe there seems to be a typo in your command: missing two dashes before global?).

But note that GitHub shows user logins instead of configured user names on some places: look at this Hadley Wickham's commit that says "hadley commited..." while if you open the raw patch, you see that his name is properly configured.

Related