Alexa custom skill for a device without invocation name (not a smart home skill)

Viewed 303

I have created an Alexa custom skill that I am using to control various devices in my house. I am using a custom skill rather than implementing the smart home skills as I want to be able to support non-standard utterances. For instance, I can ask

Alexa, ask [invocation] what is the brightness of the porch lights right now?

Everything with the custom skill works really well, except that I don't want to have to say the invocation name. I'd prefer to interact with porch lights as if they were a discovered smart home skills device, like:

Alexa, what is the brightness of the porch lights right now?

This seems to be purpose of the canFulfillIntent. I have implemented this interface in Python (perhaps incorrectly), but Alexa always responds: "Sorry, I didn't find a device named porch lights".

Is what I am asking possible? And if it is, does anyone have a Python example? My reading is that while this is the purpose of canFulfillIntent it does not function like this yet (thus the reason why there are two ecobee skills, for instance).

1 Answers

It is not possible. Every time you ask for brightness and other things it will assume that you are referring to a smart home device and the skill will not be invoked. Thus the 2 ecobee skills. This video might help you if you go for a smart home skill.

Related