Change Default kernel in jupyter notebook

Viewed 9476

I am using ipython 6.4.0 on ubuntu 20.04 and using jupyter kernelspec list , I found, there are 2 kernels :

  1. practice_applied_ai
  2. python3

When I open any .ipynb file, it directly opens in "python3" but I want to open it in "practice_applied_ai" because I created virtual environment practice_applied_ai and only in this kernel I can import Tensorflow 2.2.0 for my work.
My question is, Is there any way to change my default kernel without removing any kernel ?

4 Answers
jupyter notebook --generate-config 

open the generated config file change
change this line to your desired kernel

#c.MultiKernelManager.default_kernel_name = 'python3' 

like

c.MultiKernelManager.default_kernel_name = 'py38' 

See this answer on GitHub. As explained there:

the default kernel name is rarely used. It really only comes into play when a request is received to start a kernel and the kernel name is not specified in the request payload. Since both Notebook and Lab UIs essentially require the user to select a kernel (for new notebooks), it doesn't really come into play.

Put c.MappingKernelManager.default_kernel_name='newDefault' in config file.

To confirm the default is in place, hit the kernelspecs REST API of your running notebook server (e.g., http://localhost:8888/api/kernelspecs) and you should see the default kernel name as the first entry in the returned payload.

Yes this is possible via the .ipynb file itself. Set the following variables in the metadata, specifically the name which identifies the kernel

  "metadata": {
   "kernelspec": {
   "display_name": "Python 3 (PyTorch 1.6 Python 3.6 CPU Optimized)",
   "language": "python",
   "name": "python3__SAGEMAKER_INTERNAL__arn:aws:sagemaker:us-east-1:081325390199:image/pytorch-1.6-cpu-py36-ubuntu16.04-v1"
   },
   "language_info": {
    "codemirror_mode": {

Not sure how to change the default kernel, but you can change the kernel being used in a notebook, after opening the notebook, as explained in this site.
Open the notebook. Then navigate to Kernel -> Change Kernel and select the kernel you want to use.

enter image description here

Related