Limitations of SARIMA model - Challenge

Viewed 550

I am not quite used to ARIMA's models but I believe I reached the on of the limitations of these autoregressive models, could you please check it out and tell me if I am wrong:

Find the data (with no virus, guaranteed) in the following Gofile link: https://gofile.io/d/RAlgkc

I have a timeseries (monthly aggregated) that looks like the following:

enter image description here

I see NO trend at all and the statistical test confirm stationarity:

ADF Statistic: -4.858951 p-value: 0.000042 Lags used: 12.000000 The nobs or number of observations used for the Critical Values: 479.000000 Critical Values: 1%: -3.444 5%: -2.868 10%: -2.570

KPSS Statistic: 0.064377 p-value: 0.100000. lags: 18.000000 Critical Values: 10%: 0.347 5%: 0.463 2.5%: 0.574 1%: 0.739

Perhaps my only concern is the p-value of the KPSS, which is quite above a 5% threshold... Anyway statistical tests points to stationarity so lets move on.

In autoregression correlograms (ACF and PACF) I can see a clear seasonality (remember, x-axis are months)

enter image description here

High correlation with small lags, so I define the orders of this SARIMA model as (1, 0, 1) - (1, 0, 1, 12). Providing quite a consistent results:

enter image description here

From here on, I do not like the results all, this is the prediction compared to my test (splited data).

enter image description here

ARIMA is just describing the average seasonality for the test period (~ 120 months) WITHOUT taking into consideration the order parameteres in between season... Despite this, the residuals are all uncorrelated

enter image description here

So my question is, is it me (probably), that I am not describing properly the order and the seasonal order of the time series or this is the maximum I should expected from a SARIMA model? What concerns me more is that the residuals are uncorrelated...

Your help, opinions, feedback I much appreciated. Thanks a lot!

0 Answers
Related