I am trying to add spaces between the tabs.
I would like to add gaps between the tabs, I have tried using padding but that changes the entire tab layout padding and not individual tabs. I have also tried other methods e.g. minWidth, while searching for an idea but couldn't figure it out, so i am here. Most of the project is default from when i created the tabbed layout activity, Here is the code i added/changed:
Thanks in Advance.
tab_background
<shape xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
android:shape="rectangle">
<corners
android:radius="18dp"/>
<!-- TabLayout background color -->
<solid
android:color="@color/colorPrimaryDark"/>
</shape>
tab_selected
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<shape xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
android:shape="rectangle">
<!-- radius should be half of the desired TabLayout height -->
<corners
android:radius="18dp"/>
<!-- color of the selected tab -->
<solid
android:color="@color/colorWhite"/>
</shape>
tab_selector
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<selector xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android">
<!-- drawable for selected tab -->
<item
android:drawable="@drawable/tab_selected"
android:top="-2dp" android:left="-5dp" android:right="-5dp" android:bottom="2dp"
android:state_selected="true"/>
<!-- drawable for unselected tab -->
<item
android:drawable="@drawable/tab_background"
android:top="-2dp" android:left="-5dp" android:right="-5dp" android:bottom="2dp"
android:state_selected="false"/>
</selector>
activity_main
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<androidx.coordinatorlayout.widget.CoordinatorLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
xmlns:app="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res-auto"
xmlns:tools="http://schemas.android.com/tools"
android:layout_width="match_parent"
android:layout_height="match_parent"
tools:context=".MainActivity">
<androidx.viewpager.widget.ViewPager
android:id="@+id/view_pager"
android:layout_width="match_parent"
android:layout_height="match_parent"
app:layout_behavior="@string/appbar_scrolling_view_behavior" />
<com.google.android.material.appbar.AppBarLayout
android:layout_width="match_parent"
android:layout_height="wrap_content"
android:theme="@style/AppTheme.AppBarOverlay"
>
<TextView
android:id="@+id/title"
android:layout_width="match_parent"
android:layout_height="70dp"
android:gravity="top|center_horizontal"
android:minHeight="?actionBarSize"
android:padding="@dimen/appbar_padding"
android:text="@string/app_name"
android:fontFamily="@font/sofiabold"
android:background="@color/colorPrimary"
android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.Widget.AppCompat.Toolbar.Title" />
<com.google.android.material.tabs.TabLayout
android:id="@+id/tabs"
android:layout_width="match_parent"
android:layout_height="56dp"
app:tabTextColor="@color/colorWhite"
app:tabMode="auto"
app:tabGravity="center"
android:layout_gravity="center"
android:background="@color/colorPrimary"
app:tabBackground="@drawable/tab_selector"
app:tabSelectedTextColor="@color/colorPrimary"
app:tabPaddingStart="16dp"
app:tabPaddingEnd="16dp"
android:paddingBottom="20dp"
app:tabIndicatorHeight="0dp"
app:tabRippleColor="@null"
app:tabTextAppearance="@style/TabTextAppearance"/>
</com.google.android.material.appbar.AppBarLayout>
<com.google.android.material.floatingactionbutton.FloatingActionButton
android:id="@+id/fab"
android:layout_width="wrap_content"
android:layout_height="wrap_content"
android:layout_gravity="bottom|end"
android:layout_margin="@dimen/fab_margin"
app:srcCompat="@android:drawable/ic_dialog_email" />
</androidx.coordinatorlayout.widget.CoordinatorLayout>
