I have a project where I am setting up a Rails API with Graphql and React/Apollo. I've purpled all the google links looking for the best authentication solution, but it seems I haven't been able to find a clear answer.
I settled on using the graphql_devise gem, which leverages devise & devise_token_auth. I would have preferred to find a JWT solution, but just couldn't. (If you have any obvious suggestions please tell me!)
First I mounted a separate auth route, but ran into problems with multiple endpoints when I was setting up ApolloClient. I couldn't figure out how to direct auth related requests to my auth endpoint, while letting the rest go through to my graphql one. (If figuring this out is the easiest solution, please tell me!) Instead, I mounted the auth routes in my own schema, as instructed by the docs:
class MyApiSchema < GraphQL::Schema
use GraphqlDevise::SchemaPlugin.new(
query: Types::QueryType,
mutation: Types::MutationType,
resource_loaders: [
GraphqlDevise::ResourceLoader.new('User', only: [:login, :logout])
]
)
mutation(Types::MutationType)
query(Types::QueryType)
And edited the execute line in graphql_controller.rb:
result = MyApiSchema.execute(query, variables: variables, context: graphql_context(:user), operation_name: operation_name)
At this point, running a test query in postman is successful. I can access the graphql route with a userLogin mutation without any headers set, and get a successful response with client, uid & token. Authentication of my other queries also works—success with headers, denied without.
But when I try to perform the same queries using useQuery in react, it doesn't work. In the Apollo Client Developer Tools plugin in Chrome, it doesn't work either, returning only [Object object]. By looking at the request in my Network tab, I can see that this is the result of the same error: "photo field requires authentication".
When I pry into the rails server, I can see that the headers are being received. I can even authenticate the user manually in my graphql_controller before the execute method is called, so I don't think that it is a CORS issue. I have set up the rack-cors gem in Rails to expose the required headers.
When I drill into the code, it seems that the graphql_devise method set_current_resource is failing to return my user. This seems to stem from the devise method set_user_by_token, but I have not been able to figure out why it is failing.
If anyone has any experience with implementing this gem & stack, I would very much appreciate your input! If you have a better way of approaching authentication, I'd love to know what your strategy is. If you can help me solve this ... field requires authentication error, I will love you forever.
Apologies if I've provided too much/too little info, or if my question is too vague. Please let me know if there's something specific I should know to ask/show in my code. Hope you can help! Thanks.