I am creating a substring from a string with non-combining diacritics that follow a space. When doing so, I check the string with .Contains() and then perform the substring. When I use a space char inside of an .IndexOf(), the program performs as expected, yet when using the string " ", within .IndexOf() the program throws an exception. As shown in the samples below only a string preceding the primary stress diacritic (U+02C8) throws an ArgumentOutOfRangeException.
Simple code (Edit suggested by John):
string a = "aɪ prɪˈzɛnt";
string b = "maɪ ˈprɛznt";
// A
Console.WriteLine(a.IndexOf(" ")); // string index: 2
Console.WriteLine(a.IndexOf(' ')); // char index: 2
// B
Console.WriteLine(b.IndexOf(" ")); // string index: -1
Console.WriteLine(b.IndexOf(' ')); // char index: 3
Sample code I tested with:
const string iPresent = "aɪ prɪˈzɛnt",
myPresent = "maɪ ˈprɛznt";
if(iPresent.Contains(' '))
{
Console.WriteLine(iPresent.Substring(0, iPresent.IndexOf(' ')));
}
if(iPresent.Contains(" "[0]))
{
Console.WriteLine(iPresent.Substring(0, iPresent.IndexOf(" "[0])));
}
if(iPresent.Contains(" "))
{
Console.WriteLine(iPresent.Substring(0, iPresent.IndexOf(" ")));
}
if(iPresent.Contains(string.Empty + ' '))
{
Console.WriteLine(iPresent.Substring(0, iPresent.IndexOf(string.Empty + ' ')));
}
if (myPresent.Contains(' '))
{
Console.WriteLine(myPresent.Substring(0, myPresent.IndexOf(' ')));
}
if (myPresent.Contains(" "[0]))
{
Console.WriteLine(myPresent.Substring(0, myPresent.IndexOf(" "[0])));
}
if (myPresent.Contains(string.Empty + ' '))
{
try
{
Console.WriteLine(myPresent.Substring(0, myPresent.IndexOf(string.Empty + ' ')));
}
catch (Exception ex)
{
Console.WriteLine("***" + ex.Message);
}
}
if (myPresent.Contains(" "))
{
try
{
Console.WriteLine(myPresent.Substring(0, myPresent.IndexOf(" ")));
}
catch (Exception ex)
{
Console.WriteLine("***" + ex.Message);
}
}