Say I have a list of options and I want to pick a certain number randomly.
In my case, say the options are in a list ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e'] and I want my script to return 3 elements.
However, there is also the case of two options that cannot appear at the same time. That is, if option 'a' is picked randomly, then option 'b' cannot be picked. And the same applies the other way round.
So valid outputs are: ['a', 'c', 'd'] or ['c', 'd', 'b'], while things like would not because they contain both 'a' and 'b'.['a', 'b', 'c']
To fulfil these requirements, I am fetching 3 options plus another one to compensate a possible discard. Then, I keep a set() with the mutually exclusive condition and keep removing from it and check if both elements have been picked or not:
import random
mutually_exclusive = set({'a', 'b'})
options = ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e']
num_options_to_return = 3
shuffled_options = random.sample(options, num_options_to_return + 1)
elements_returned = 0
for item in shuffled_options:
if elements_returned >= num_options_to_return:
break
if item in mutually_exclusive:
mutually_exclusive.remove(item)
if not mutually_exclusive:
# if both elements have appeared, then the set is empty so we cannot return the current value
continue
print(item)
elements_returned += 1
However, I may be overcoding and Python may have better ways to handle these requirements. Going through random's documentation I couldn't find ways to do this out of the box. Is there a better solution than my current one?