I am trying to make a graph that shows the average temperature each day over a year by averaging 19 years of NOAA data (side note, is there any better way to get historical weather data because the NOAA's seems super inconsistent). I was wondering what the best way to set up the data would be. The relevant columns of my data look like this:
DATE PRCP TAVG TMAX TMIN TOBS
0 1990-01-01 17.0 NaN 13.3 8.3 10.0
1 1990-01-02 0.0 NaN NaN NaN NaN
2 1990-01-03 0.0 NaN 13.3 2.8 10.0
3 1990-01-04 0.0 NaN 14.4 2.8 10.0
4 1990-01-05 0.0 NaN 14.4 2.8 11.1
... ... ... ... ... ... ...
10838 2019-12-27 0.0 NaN 15.0 4.4 13.3
10839 2019-12-28 0.0 NaN 14.4 5.0 13.9
10840 2019-12-29 3.6 NaN 15.0 5.6 14.4
10841 2019-12-30 0.0 NaN 14.4 6.7 12.2
10842 2019-12-31 0.0 NaN 15.0 6.7 13.9
10843 rows Ć 6 columns
The DATE column is the datetime64[ns] type
Here's my code:
import pandas as pd
from matplotlib import pyplot as plt
data = pd.read_csv('1990-2019.csv')
#seperate the data by station
oceanside = data[data.STATION == 'USC00047767']
downtown = data[data.STATION == 'USW00023272']
oceanside.loc[:,'DATE'] = pd.to_datetime(oceanside.loc[:,'DATE'],format='%Y-%m-%d')
#This is the area I need help with:
oceanside['DATE'].dt.year
ā
I've been trying to separate the data by year, so I can then average it. I would like to do this without using a for loop because I plan on doing this with much larger data sets and that would be super inefficient. I looked in the pandas documentation but I couldn't find a function that seemed like it would do that. Am I missing something? Is that even the right way to do it?
I am new to pandas/python data analysis so it is very possible the answer is staring me in the face.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!