Python 3 AttributeError: module 'serial' has no attribute 'Serial'

Viewed 2905

I've seen a lot of questions on here that have this same issue, but I haven't found a solution that works yet. I'm trying to run this face tracking program, but I can't get it to work. I know that the program says that it's written for python 2.7, but as far as I know there isn't that much of a difference in the language structure, right? I have a pretty firm understanding of the basics of python, but I'm still going through school.

The issue is in the title, I downloaded pyserial, open-cv and numpy through the terminal on mac into /3.8/bin. However, when I try to run the code below, it throws an AttributeError like I don't have serial installed. Am I missing something, or misreading something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Input:

   #import all the required modules
    import numpy as np
    import serial
    import time
    import sys
    import cv2
    arduino = serial.Serial('/dev/cu.usbmodem14201', 9600) 

Error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/daPWNDAZ/Desktop/Arduino/Codes/FaceTracking/face.py", line 7, in <module>
    arduino = serial.Serial('/dev/cu.usbmodem14201', 9600)
AttributeError: module 'serial' has no attribute 'Serial'
2 Answers

Apparently you have a python script in your directory named "serial". Rename that file and you should be good

I found an answer! I couldn't find any files named "serial", so I dug around a bit more in the answers gre_gor gave. It got fixed by uninstalling pyserial from the command line and reinstalling it (as suggested in the second link), which I could have sworn I had already done. I'm not getting any errors anymore, thank you all!

Related