Cannot edit my E2 instance to N1 instance in Google Cloud Platform

Viewed 6291

I have stopped my instance and now I am trying to edit my instance from E2 to N1, but I am getting the following error,

The request contains invalid arguments: "e2 instances do not support onHostMaintenance=TERMINATE unless they are preemptible.". Error code: "badRequest"

Also when I scroll down in the edit page I get these warning messages,

enter image description here

I am new to GCP and currently on my free trial. Please guide me on why I am not able to edit my instance from E2 to N1 and also getting these warning messages.

Note: Initially when I created my instance I created an N1 instance and then I moved to E2 instance. Now again I want to move to N1 instance and can't do it!

1 Answers

The information in the question is contradictory: the error suggests that the issue is in moving to the E2 instance type (and that this didn't occur) but the text suggests that you were able to move N1-->E2 without issue.

The error is accurate, you may not have a E2 instance with GPUs set to Terminate that isn't also Preemptible; it must be preemptible (see links)

IIUC it is possible to have an N1 instance with GPUs set to Terminate that isn't preemptible; it may be preemptible.

The move to E2 should not have been permitted (which is what the error you have suggests; badRequest). Suggesting (!?) that you didn't actually move it to E2 and it's still N1.

However, the screenshots suggests that you're editing an E2 instance. If you weren't, you wouldn't get the warning that the "On host maintenance" isn't editable.

Can you confirm?

If you started with a Preemptible N1, the conversion should succeed (both ways).

This may be a bug with Google's service but the evidence isn't conclusive.

See Live Migration and Preemptible VMs.

Related