I tried a problem on project euler where I needed to find the sum of all the fibonacci terms under 4 million. It took me a long time but then I found out that I can use memoization to do it but it seems to take still a long time. After a lot of research, I found out that I can use a built-in module called lru_cache. My question is : why isn't it as fast as memoization ?
Here's my code:
from functools import lru_cache
@lru_cache(maxsize=1000000)
def fibonacci_memo(input_value):
global value
fibonacci_cache = {}
if input_value in fibonacci_cache:
return fibonacci_cache[input_value]
if input_value == 0:
value = 1
elif input_value == 1:
value = 1
elif input_value > 1:
value = fibonacci_memo(input_value - 1) + fibonacci_memo(input_value - 2)
fibonacci_cache[input_value] = value
return value
def sumOfFib():
SUM = 0
for n in range(500):
if fibonacci_memo(n) < 4000000:
if fibonacci_memo(n) % 2 == 0:
SUM += fibonacci_memo(n)
return SUM
print(sumOfFib())
The code works by the way. It takes less than a second to run it when I use the lru_cache module.
