The difference between the "bad" state on codepen and the desired state is that in the one you don't like, you take the centroid and then you center your text on it. The centroid of a thick arc is the midpoint of the arc that runs from the midpoint of one line-segment cap to the other. This is roughly "center of mass" of the shape if it had some finite thickness and were a physical object. I don't think it's what you want. What you want is the midpoint of the outer arc. There's no function to generate it, but it's easy enough to calculate. Also, I think you want to justify your text differently for arcs whose text-anchor point is on the left hand of the chart from those on the right half. I'm going copy your code and modify it, with comments explaining.
// for some reason I couldn't get Math.Pi to work in d3.js, so
// I'm just going to calculate it once here in the one-shot setup
var piValue = Math.acos(-1);
// also, I'm noting the inner radius here and calculating the
// the outer radius (this is similar to what you do in codepen.)
var innerRadius = 40
var thickness = 30
var outerRadius = innerRadius + thickness
svg.selectAll(".dataText")
.data(data_ready)
.enter()
.each(function (d) {
// I'm renaming "centroid" to "anchor - just a
// point that relates to where you want to put
// the label, regardless of what it means geometrically.
// no more call to arc.centroid
// var centroid = arc.centroid(d);
// calculate the angle halfway between startAngle and
// endAngle. We can just average them because the convention
// seems to be that angles always increase, even if you
// if you pass the 2*pi/0 angle, and that endAngle
// is always greater than startAngle. I subtract piValue
// before dividing by 2 because in "real" trigonometry, the
// convention is that a ray that points in the 0 valued
// angles are measured against the positive x-axis, which
// is angle 0. In D3.pie conventions, the 0-angle points upward
// along the y-axis. Subtracting pi/2 to all angles before
// doing any trigonometry fixes that, because x and y
// are handled normally.
var bisectAngle = (d.startAngle + d.endAngle - piValue) / 2.0
var anchor = [ outerRadius * Math.cos(bisectAngle), outerRadius * Math.sin(bisectAngle) ];
d3.select(this)
.append('rect')
.attr("class", "dataBG_" + d.data.value.label)
// now if you stopped and didn't change anything more, you'd
// have something kind of close to what you want, but to get
// it closer, you want the labels to "swing out" from the
// from the circle - to the left on the left half of the
// the chart and to the right on the right half. So, I'm
// replacing your code with fixed offsets to code that is
// sensitive to which side we're on. You probably also want
// to replace the constants with something related to the
// the dynamic size of the label background, but I leave
// that as an "exercise for the reader".
// .attr('x', anchor[0] - 28)
// .attr('y', anchor[1] - 5)
.attr('x', anchor[0] < 0 ? anchor[0] - 48 : anchor[0] - 2)
.attr('y', anchor[1] - 10
.attr('rx', '10px')
.attr('ry', '10px')
.attr("width", 50)
.attr("height", 20)
.style('fill', d.data.value.color)
.style("opacity", 1.0);
d3.select(this)
.append('text')
.attr("class", "dataText_" + d.data.value.label)
.style('fill', 'white')
.style("font-size", "11px")
// changing the text centering code to match the box
// box-centering code above. Again, rather than constants,
// you're probably going to want something a that
// that adjusts to the size of the background box
// .attr("dx", anchor[0] - 7)
// .attr("dy", anchor[1] + 7)
.attr("dx", anchor[0] < 0 ? anchor[0] - 28 : anchor[0] + 14)
.attr("dy", anchor[1] + 4)
.text(Math.round((d.data.value.value)) + "%");
});
I tested. this code on your codepen example. I apologize if I affected your example for everyone - I'm not familiar with codepen and I don't know the collaboration rules. This is all just meant by way of suggestion, it can be made a lot more efficient with a few tweaks, but I wanted to keep it parallel to make it clear what I was changing and why. Hope this gives you some good ideas.