Parsing SimpleDateFormat a Date as "yyyy-MM-dd" is not working in a appropieted way

Viewed 398

I am trying to parse this String date : "2020-06-25T07:48:32Z" to a Date like "2020-06-25" and I did a method like this :

        String newDateFormat = "yyyy-MM-dd";
                try {
                    Date newparseDate = new SimpleDateFormat(newDateFormat).parse(date);
                    System.out.println(newparseDate);
                    return new SimpleDateFormat(dateTimeFormatPattern).parse(date);
                } catch (ParseException px) {
                    px.printStackTrace();
                }
                return null;
            }
    

But I got this format: Thu Jun 25 00:00:00 CEST 2020

1 Answers

I strongly recommend you use the modern date-time API instead of the broken java.util date-time API.

import java.time.LocalDate;
import java.time.ZonedDateTime;

public class Main {
    public static void main(String[] args) {
        ZonedDateTime zdt = ZonedDateTime.parse("2020-06-25T07:48:32Z");
        System.out.println(zdt);

        // Your required format can be got by simply using LocalDate which drops the
        // time-zone and offset information
        LocalDate ldt = zdt.toLocalDate();
        System.out.println(ldt);
    }
}

Output:

2020-06-25T07:48:32Z
2020-06-25

However, if you still want to use the outdated date-time API, you can do it as follows:

import java.text.ParseException;
import java.text.SimpleDateFormat;
import java.util.Date;

public class Main {
    public static void main(String[] args) throws ParseException {
        // Format for the given date-time string
        SimpleDateFormat oldDateFormat = new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ss");

        // Desired format
        SimpleDateFormat newDateFormat = new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-dd");

        // The given date-time string
        String dateStr = "2020-06-25T07:48:32Z";

        // Parse to java.util.Date
        Date newParseDate = oldDateFormat.parse(dateStr);

        // Format to the desired format
        String newDateStr = newDateFormat.format(newParseDate);
        System.out.println(newDateStr);
    }
}

Output:

2020-06-25
Related