I have implemented the JWT authentication and authorization. Everything is working fine, besides the unauthorized scenario
Unauthorized scenario: making a http call to a route without providing a authorization token.
Result: 403 forbidden instead of unauthorized
Here is my code:
@Override
protected void doFilterInternal(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res, FilterChain chain) throws IOException, ServletException {
String header = req.getHeader(HEADER_STRING);
if (header == null || !header.startsWith(TOKEN_PREFIX)) {
chain.doFilter(req, res);
return;
}
UsernamePasswordAuthenticationToken authentication = getAuthentication(req);
SecurityContextHolder.getContext().setAuthentication(authentication);
chain.doFilter(req, res);
}
After the
if (header == null || !header.startsWith(TOKEN_PREFIX)) {
chain.doFilter(req, res);
return;
}
Executes, the response is 403
Here is my full class:
public class JWTAuthorizationFilter extends BasicAuthenticationFilter {
public JWTAuthorizationFilter(AuthenticationManager authenticationManager) {
super(authenticationManager);
}
@Override
protected void doFilterInternal(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res, FilterChain chain) throws IOException, ServletException {
String header = req.getHeader(HEADER_STRING);
if (header == null || !header.startsWith(TOKEN_PREFIX)) {
chain.doFilter(req, res);
return;
}
UsernamePasswordAuthenticationToken authentication = getAuthentication(req);
SecurityContextHolder.getContext().setAuthentication(authentication);
chain.doFilter(req, res);
}
private UsernamePasswordAuthenticationToken getAuthentication(HttpServletRequest request) {
String token = request.getHeader(HEADER_STRING);
if (token != null) {
// setting the user in the security context
String user = JWT.require(Algorithm.HMAC512(SECRET.getBytes()))
.build()
.verify(token.replace(TOKEN_PREFIX, ""))
.getSubject();
if(user != null){
return new UsernamePasswordAuthenticationToken(user, null, new ArrayList<>());
}
return null;
}
return null;
}
}
Remark:
I had the same problem with UsernamePasswordAuthenticationFilter, and I solved it by overriding the default authenticationFailureHandler:
setAuthenticationFailureHandler(new JWTAuthenticationFailureHandler());
How can I get the correct 401 response code and body?
Thanks!