Unable to generate assets to build and debug. OmniSharp server is not running

Viewed 23829

On Visual Studio (VS) Code, coding on C#. I'm trying to generate assets to build and debug and I'm getting the following error message: Unable to generate assets to build and debug. OmniSharp server is not running.

I'm running:

  • .NET version 3.1.301
  • Windows 8.1
  • Visual Studio Code 1.46.1 (user setup)
  • Powershell 5.1

So far I've tried unistalling VS code and the C# extention, I updated the omnisharp.path to latest at settings.json and updated the powershell version.

The code I'm trying to generate the assets for build and debug does run, so I'm uncertain where else I should look for the source of the problem.

If you require any more details feel free to ask

9 Answers

CTRL + SHIFT + P

Use of the command :

OmniSharp: Restart OmniSharp

worked for me

enter image description here

This worked for me:

Ctrl + Shift + P

Then type the command:

OmniSharp: Select Project

enter image description here

Install the C# Extension, once installed click on the arrow on the side of the uninstall button and then click install another version. First I tried one from 2 months ago, it did not work, then I tried one from 6 months and it worked perfectly!

Ended up discovering the issue. I needed to add a PATH variable to C:\Windows\System32 in the System Variables. Now it works as intended.

Adding the variable depends on your Windows version. You should be able to find guides on adding Paths to your Environment Variables. Here's Microsoft's guide.

As for which path variable you need to add it'll look something like: C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v.1.0

  1. Added omnisharp.json file to the root folder with below content:

    { "msbuild": { "useBundledOnly": true } }
    
  2. Select the Command Palette using Ctrl + Shift + P and select the option "OmniSharp: Restart Omnisharp"

  3. Using the Command Palette, select the option "NET: Generate Assets for Debug and Build"

  4. The launch.json and tasks.json files will be added under the .vscode folder

  5. Now you should be able to debug your code

This solution worked for me.

I had this problem using .NET 2.1.

Note that the C# for VS Code Extension (OmniSharp) now requires .NET 6 SDK or newer or a Full Framework runtime and MSBuild tooling. See requirements section.

After setting the extension setting omnisharp.useModernNet to false and installing Mono, I was able to able to generate assets to build and debug normally with the VS Code extension.

I created .net project with dotnet CLI and started with "code ." command. But somehow, omnisharp didn't worked with that.

My problem solved like this;

I went to the file that i created. I dragged that file to visual studio code and launched with that.

And it worked :)

Under Extensions in VS code - Clicking the arrow on the Uninstall button -> Install Another Version and then selecting the 2nd most recent one fixed this for me.

Related