My web project has a class called DB_CONNECTOR where all the functions are bundled that interact with the mysql database. These would be functions like get_user(), add_user(), change_user_attribute() and many more. In each of these functions a sql query is executed and as is good practice, I use prepared statements (with named parameters).
Currently the connection to the database is established in the constructor of the class and also all the statements are prepared there. I thought this would be a good idea, so the statements are all immediatly ready for execution.
Now I realized that my use case is often to create a db_connector object, execute one or maybe two functions and then the objects lifecycle ends and at a later step a new one might be constructed (or not). So, I'm not so sure anymore if it smart to put the prepared statements in the constructor as it is forseeable that I will end up with at least 20 or likely more prepared statements.
So my question is:
- is it a good idea to prepare all the statements in the constructor even if only one or two are used?
- Or should I prepare them in the functions right before execution to avoid stressing the db with unneeded preparations?