TimescaleDB in Container

Viewed 2264

I need help to write Dockerfile to create TimescaleDB in a container. I found this instruction for creating a container:

docker run -d --name timescaledb -p 5432:5432 -e POSTGRES_PASSWORD=password timescale/timescaledb:latest-pg12

But I want to be able to specify the login and data base name and run creation with pipeline.

Thanks.

1 Answers

I guess you use a docker image from timescale/timescaledb. The Dockerfile used to build these images is public in GH repo timescale/timescaledb-docker. TimescaleDB docker image is based from postgres-alpine and thus inherits entrypoint from there. The description of postgres image presents available environment variables, which can be used during new container start. It includes POSTGRES_DB, which can be used to specify the database to create on start. If the available options is not enough, the entrypoint can be redefined by using option --entrypoint for docker run command.

Summary:

Note that Timescale also provides docker image of TimescaleDB with HA for k8s. This one doesn't inherit from postgres and contains own entrypoint.

Related