I am trying to get the output of a Gaussian pulse going through a coax cable. I made a vector that represents a coax cable; I got attenuation and phase delay information online and used Euler's equation to create a complex array.
I FFTed my Gaussian vector and convoluted it with my cable. The issue is, I can't figure out how to properly iFFT the convolution. I read about iFFt in MathWorks and looked at other people's questions. Someone had a similar problem and in the answers, someone suggested to remove n = 2^nextpow2(L) and FFT over length(t) instead. I was able to get more reasonable plot from that and it made sense to why that is the case. I am confused about whether or not I should be using the symmetry option in iFFt. It is making a big difference in my plots. The main reason I added the symmetry it is because I was getting complex numbers in the iFFTed convolution (timeHF). I would truly appreciate some help, thanks!
clc, clear
Fs = 14E12; %1 sample per pico seconds
tlim = 4000E-12;
t = -tlim:1/Fs:tlim; %in pico seconds
ag = 0.5; %peak of guassian
bg = 0; %peak location
wg = 50E-12; %FWHM
x = ag.*exp(-4 .* log(2) .* (t-bg).^2 / (wg).^2); %Gauss. in terms of FWHM
Ly = x;
L = length(t);
%n = 2^nextpow2(L); %test output in time domain with and without as suggested online
fNum = fft(Ly,L);
frange = Fs/L*(0:(L/2)); %half of the spectrum
fNumMag = abs(fNum/L); %divide by n to normalize
% COAX modulation ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
%phase data
mu = 4*pi*1E-7;
sigma_a = 2.9*1E7;
sigma_b = 5.8*1E6;
a = 0.42E-3;
b = 1.75E-3;
er = 1.508;
vf = 0.66;
c = 3E8;
l = 1;
Lso = sqrt(mu) /(4*pi^3/2) * (1/(sqrt(sigma_a)*a) + 1/(b*sqrt(sigma_b)));
Lo = mu/(2*pi) * log(b/a);
%to = l/(vf*c);
to = 12E-9; %measured
phase = -pi*to*(frange + 1/2 * Lso/Lo * sqrt(frange));
%attenuation Data
k1 = 0.34190;
k2 = 0.00377;
len = 1;
mldb = (k1 .* sqrt(frange) + k2 .* frange) ./ 100 .* len ./1E6;
mldb1 = mldb ./ 0.3048; %original eqaution is in inch
tfMag = 10.^(mldb1./-10);
% combine to make in complex form
tfC = [];
for ii = 1: L/2 + 1
tfC(ii) = tfMag(ii) * (cosd(phase(ii)) + 1j*sind(phase(ii)));
end
%END ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
%convolute both h and signal
fNum = fNum(1:L/2+1);
convHF = tfC.*fNum;
convHFMag = abs(convHF/L);
timeHF = ifft(convHF, length(t), 'symmetric'); %this is the part im confused about
% Ignore,
% tfC(numel(fNum)) = 0;
% convHF = tfC.*fNum;
% convHFMag = abs(convHF/n);
% timeHF = ifft(convHF);
%% plotting
% subplot(2, 2, 1);
% plot(t, Ly)
% title('Gaussian input');
% xlabel('time in seconds')
% ylabel('V')
% grid
subplot(2, 2, 1)
plot(frange, abs(tfC(1: L/2 + 1)));
set(gca, 'Xscale', 'log')
title('coax cable model')
xlabel('Hz')
ylabel('|H(s)|V/V')
grid
ylim([0 1.1])
subplot(2, 2, 2);
plot(frange, convHFMag(1:L/2+1), '.-', frange, fNumMag(1:L/2+1)) %make both range and function the same lenght
title('The input signal Vs its convolution with coax');
xlabel('Hz')
ylabel('V')
legend('Convolution','Lorentzian in frequecuency domain');
xlim([0, 5E10])
grid
subplot(2, 2, [3, 4]);
plot(t, Ly, t, timeHF)
% plot(t, real(timeHF(1:length(t)))) %make both range and function the same lenght
legend('Input', 'Output')
title('Signal at the output')
xlabel('time in seconds')
ylabel('V')
grid
