Low FPS when naming application explorer.exe

Viewed 85

I have an Unity application let's call it X it usually runs at about 60 FPS. But when I rename the executable to Explorer (the same as Windows Explorer) my FPS drops to 7-8.

This is a screenshot from the profiler when the app is named X when the FPS is about 60: enter image description here

This is another screenshot from the profiler with the same app but named explorer.exe when the FPS is about 8: enter image description here

This is a screenshot of the GPU usage when named X.exe: enter image description here

The same app named explorer.exe: enter image description here

I'm can and will rename the app to something else, but I'd like to know what causes this and how I can figure this out on my own.

Things I've tried:

  • Disabling my AV which is windows defender and restarting with no effect.
  • Trying to reproduce it on a colleagues PC, with no success.

This makes me things that it might be specific to my machine and that maybe some process is trying to make some API calls on the other Explorer.exe and somehow affects my app.

In case it's relevant

  • I'm using Unity 2019.3.5f1
  • It's happening in the built app both debug and release
OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
OS Version:                10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362
System Model:              Alienware 17 R4
System Type:               x64-based PC
1 Answers

Disappointingly the issue was cause by the fact the my windows was using the CPU graphics card instead of the dedicated one when the app was named explorer.exe.

To change this, I had to:

  1. Go to Settings > System > Display > Graphics Settings.
  2. Browse and pick my app.
  3. Select my app from the list.
  4. Select Options.
  5. Select High performance.
  6. Select Save.

Original source

This made my app use dedicated GPU instead of the integrated one.

Related