Kallisto build keeps failing when attempting to link CXX executable

Viewed 205

I'm super new to coding in general so apologies for any lack of clarity or conciseness. I'm attempting to make a build for Kallisto to use in RNA sequence alignment and I'm getting stuck at the "make" stage. The cmake was successful after a little fiddling and downloading a CXX compiler, but the make keep exiting with an error status:

[ 27%] Built target htslib
[ 93%] Built target kallisto_core
[ 96%] Linking CXX executable kallisto
/home/wahanson/miniconda3/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-conda_cos6-linux-gnu/7.3.0/../../../../x86_64-conda_cos6-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/kallisto.dir/build.make:88: src/kallisto] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:130: src/CMakeFiles/kallisto.dir/all] Error 2

the main error appears to be "cannot find -lz" causing the subsequent errors. From what I understand, this is referencing zlib1g-dev and/or an inability to find it within the path. I have installed zlib1g-dev through conda and made sure to update to no avail. If anyone could let me know what I'm missing or a next place to look it'd be much appreciated. Thanks!

1 Answers

The error looks like the zlib package was not installed in the env. Fortunately, I've recently built kallisto and can share the Conda environment I have been using, which I've tested on both osx-64 and linux-64 platforms:

kallisto-build.yaml

name: kallisto-build
channels:
  - bioconda
  - r
  - conda-forge
  - defaults
dependencies:
  - autoconf
  - automake
  - hdf5
  - cmake
  - cxx-compiler
  - zlib

Create and then activate this environment:

conda env create -f kallisto-build.yaml
conda activate kallisto-build

then follow the kallisto instructions for building from source.

Related