Secret manager access denied despite correct roles for service account

Viewed 27187

I'm writing a cloud function in Nodejs (10), and trying to access a secret like so:

const [secret] = await new SecretManagerServiceClient().accessSecretVersion({
    name: `projects/PROJECT_NUMBER/secrets/SECRET_NAME/versions/latest`
})

I created the secret in the web console and the name used in code matches that of the existing secret. On the page for the cloud function details, it states that the service account is PROJECT_ID@appspot.gserviceaccount,com, so I added the secretmanager.secretAccessor role to it. However, I'm still getting the same error every time:

Error: 7 PERMISSION_DENIED: Permission 'secretmanager.versions.access' denied for resource 'projects/PROJECT_NUMBER/secrets/SECRET_NAME/versions/latest' (or it may not exist).

It makes no difference if I specify a concrete version or just use latest.

6 Answers

HTTP cloud function code:

const { SecretManagerServiceClient } = require('@google-cloud/secret-manager');

const secretManagerServiceClient = new SecretManagerServiceClient();
const name = 'projects/shadowsocks-218808/secrets/workflow/versions/latest';

exports.testSecretManager = async (req, res) => {
  const [version] = await secretManagerServiceClient.accessSecretVersion({ name });
  const payload = version.payload.data.toString();
  console.debug(`Payload: ${payload}`);
  res.sendStatus(200);
};

Deploy:

gcloud functions deploy testSecretManager --runtime nodejs10 --trigger-http --allow-unauthenticated

Deploying function (may take a while - up to 2 minutes)...done.                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
availableMemoryMb: 256
entryPoint: testSecretManager
httpsTrigger:
  url: https://us-central1-shadowsocks-218808.cloudfunctions.net/testSecretManager
ingressSettings: ALLOW_ALL
labels:
  deployment-tool: cli-gcloud
name: projects/shadowsocks-218808/locations/us-central1/functions/testSecretManager
runtime: nodejs10
serviceAccountEmail: shadowsocks-218808@appspot.gserviceaccount.com
sourceUploadUrl: https://storage.googleapis.com/gcf-upload-us-central1-43476143-b555-4cb2-8f6f-1b2d1952a2d7/42c4cda4-98a8-4994-a3be-d2203b9e646a.zip?GoogleAccessId=service-16536262744@gcf-admin-robot.iam.gserviceaccount.com&Expires=1596513795&Signature=kbLw5teN8EoYmj4fEweKKiIaakxcrhlUg2GGHV4jWJjvmeEfXePpRNOn9yz2zLn%2Fba0UqM9qdJMXujs5afBk%2BVBmywPEiptAZe2qgmldpr%2BsYejFu0woNgsPHVqtJ0NoWDo6W2dq4CuNNwO%2BaQ89mnhahUUQTInkJ55Y3wCIe9smk%2BqWtcvta3zICiToA7RQvPKY5MS6NViyj5mLxuJtDlTY9IKPL%2BqG6JAaQJSFYKYVgLyb6JfirXk8Q7%2FMvnHPpXPlhvsBLQksbF6jDPeefp2HyW4%2FSIQYprfpwKV3hlEIQyRQllz5J9yF83%2FxDPh%2BQPc5QmswKP5XAvYaszJPEw%3D%3D
status: ACTIVE
timeout: 60s
updateTime: '2020-08-04T03:34:32.665Z'
versionId: '2'

Test:

gcloud functions call testSecretManager --data '{}'

Got error same as you:

error: |-
  Error: function terminated. Recommended action: inspect logs for termination reason. Details:
  7 PERMISSION_DENIED: Permission 'secretmanager.versions.access' denied for resource 'projects/shadowsocks-218808/secrets/workflow/versions/latest' (or it may not exist).

solution:

You can find the serviceAccountEmail: shadowsocks-218808@appspot.gserviceaccount.com from the deployment information details of cloud function.

go to IAM & Admin web UI, click ADD ANOTHER ROLE button, add Secret Manager Secret Accessor role to this service account.

enter image description here

Test again:

> gcloud functions call testSecretManager --data '{}'

executionId: 1tsatxl6fndw
result: OK

Read the logs for testSecretManager cloud function:

gcloud functions logs read testSecretManager

You will see the logs for the secret payload string.

I had the same issue and to solve it, I just had to:

  1. Find the Service Account under General of my Google Cloud Function.

    It looked like <project-name>@appspot.gserviceaccount.com

  2. In IAM Admin, Add Secret Manager Secret Accessor Role to this Service Account.

After this, everything worked!

I have had similar issues working with secretmanager and the python google-cloud-secretmanager library (2.4). Specifically, after creating a secret and giving my service account the secretmanager.secretAccessor role on this secret (and nothing else, following the principle of least privilege), I was getting the following error when trying to access it:

details = "Permission 'secretmanager.versions.access' denied for resource 'projects/projectid/secrets/keyname/versions/latest' (or it may not exist)."

I could only make it work by also adding the secretmanager.viewer role at the project level, which as far as I can tell is not described in the documentation.

I had similar problem using terraform under gitlab. I must add two authorizations to the service account which runs the pipeline:

resource "google_project_iam_policy" "gitlab" {
  project     = "secret_owner_project_id"
  policy_data = data.google_iam_policy.iam.policy_data
}

data "google_iam_policy" "iam" {
  binding {
    role = "roles/secretmanager.secretAccessor"
    members = [
      "serviceAccount:project_accessing_secret@XYZ.iam.gserviceaccount.com",
    ]
  }
  binding {
    role = "roles/viewer"
    members = [
      "serviceAccount:project_accessing_secret@XYZ.iam.gserviceaccount.com",
    ]
  }
}

A bit late, but maybe this answer could be useful for future users. I encountered the same behavior only with Python. I tried lots of things but only thing that worked was creating new service account with zero roles(if I granted it secretmanager.secretAccessor role immediately, I got the same error). Then when empty service account is created, in IAM tab I press +Add, copy my empty service account adress and ONLY then I add secretmanager.secretAccessor role to it. Then I use this account as the account that will execute particular function. You of course may need to add other roles depending on what your function is intended to accomplish.

OAuth scope plays an important role here and please make sure the scope is defined correctly.

To use Secret Manager with workloads running on Compute Engine or GKE, the underlying instance or node must have the cloud-platform OAuth scope. If you receive an error with the following message, it means the instance or node was not provisioned with the correct OAuth scopes.

Request had insufficient authentication scopes

The required OAuth scope to use Secret Manager is:

https://www.googleapis.com/auth/cloud-platform

Example gcloud command to create dataproc with scope

gcloud dataproc clusters create xyz-pqr --region asia-south1 --subnet projects/xyz-pqr/regions/asia-south1/subnetworks/abc-serverless-vpc --zone asia-south1-b --master-machine-type n1-standard-4 --master-boot-disk-size 100 --num-workers 2 --worker-machine-type n1-standard-4 --worker-boot-disk-size 100 --image-version 2.0-debian10 --project xyz-development -scopes https://www.googleapis.com/auth/cloud-platform

Related