Ubuntu 'Failed to restart apache2.service: Unit apache2.service not found.'

Viewed 29550

I am using Google Cloud Platform to test out ModSecurity and I am using a tutorial to launch it. However, I need to restart Apache every once in a while. I'm using Ubuntu 18.04. I write sudo systemctl restart apache2, but an error comes back and it says Failed to restart apache2.service: Unit apache2.service not found. What should I do?

4 Answers

Did you install apache2 first ?

sudo apt install apache2

For those who run into the same issue using Debian

I did have apache2 installed and running as was confirmed by apache2.service | loaded active running.

enter image description here

I still tried to install it.

enter image description here

I did also get the same error Failed to restart apache2.service: Unit apache2.service not found

enter image description here

How I got apache2 to restart

Using: Debian (9.13)

sudo service apache2 restart

or by typing

sudo apachectl stop
sudo apachectl start

Type sudo apt install apache2

To start the apache service type

sudo systemctl start apache2

if you tried to install it and still got the same problem , you can update it , try : apt-get update

Related