I have an Azure CLI script which runs perfectly well in the Cloud Shell but I run into trouble when I try to include it in a devops release pipeline. For debugging purposes I've reduced the script to simply signing-in as a Service Principal and then retrieving the version...
az login --service-principal -u http://[Service Principal name] -p [Service Principal password] --tenant [Service Principal tenant GUID]
az --version
...but it still incurs the same error.
Here are the properties of my Azure CLI task:
Script Type: Shell
Script Location: Inline script
Inline Script: [as above]
Script Arguments:
Access service principal details in script: false
Use global Azure CLI configuration: false
Working Directory:
Fail on Standard Error: false
Enabled: true
Continue on error: false*
Environment Variables:
And the error is:
2020-06-15T12:46:39.8710944Z ##[error]Error Code: [1]
2020-06-15T12:46:39.8724737Z ##[error]Error: Azure login failed
2020-06-15T12:46:39.8728448Z ##[error]Script failed with error: Get Token request returned http error: 401 and server response: {"error":"invalid_client","error_description":"AADSTS7000222: The provided client secret keys are expired. Visit the Azure Portal to create new keys for your app, or consider using certificate credentials for added security: https://docs.microsoft.com/azure/active-directory/develop/active-directory-certificate-credentials
Trace ID: d0f42793-739e-4ce9-9118-5049086aa800
Correlation ID: 2ad50471-9c2a-4c02-a4d0-189efad2f0c8
Timestamp: 2020-06-15 12:46:39Z","error_codes":[7000222],"timestamp":"2020-06-15 12:46:39Z","trace_id":"d0f42793-739e-4ce9-9118-5049086aa800","correlation_id":"2ad50471-9c2a-4c02-a4d0-189efad2f0c8","error_uri":"https://login.microsoftonline.com/error?code=7000222"}
I was able to authenticate as this Service Principal using the Azure Cloud Shell so I'm puzzled as to why I apparently can't do the same from within the release pipeline.
* I have tried with Continue on error: true and although the task completes the same error appears in the output.








