"The git repository at '/home/upulie/Desktop' has too many active changes, only a subset of Git features will be enabled"

Viewed 4538

The git repository at '/home/upulie/Desktop' has too many active changes, only a subset of Git features will be enabled

Source: Git(Extension)

This warning comes up in the corner in VS Code when opening up a React project. I can't understand why it happens as I don't have any .git file inside my '/home/upulie/Desktop' neither anywhere inside it.

(The project I'm trying to open is inside a folder in Desktop)

Why does this happen and how can I get rid of it?

2 Answers

Check first if your have a /home/upulie/Desktop/.git/ folder.

If so, you should rename (or even delete) it: Desktop should not, in its entirety, be a Git repository.
Only a subfolder representing a project should have a Git repository in it.

FOR WINDOWS USER ONLY:

This happens when you execute the "git init" command inside of your user folder. To solve that I recommend follow this, if you're working on a Windows computer:

Enable viewing “hidden items” in your computer’s file explorer. First open the file explorer to C:\Users<username>, click on the View tab, and select the “Hidden Items” checkbox. Delete the .git folder and everything should work fine again.

Related