VirtualBox macOS Catalina Springboard quit unexpectedly

Viewed 7689

I am new to this VirtualBox macOS thing and I am trying to run flutter with the IOS simulator, but when I try to open the IOS Simulator it takes a long time to load and an error comes up and says that the SpringBoard quit unexpectedly. I was wondering how I would be able to fix it? I already tried reinstalling it and the error still came up.

Process:               SpringBoard [850]
Path:                  /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/SpringBoard
Identifier:            SpringBoard
Version:               1.0 (50)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        launchd_sim [719]
Responsible:           SimulatorTrampoline [714]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2020-06-13 18:56:35.137 -0700
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.15.3 (19D76)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        C3FC17E7-DC36-0C9B-B9ED-3D40775A17B0

Sleep/Wake UUID:       48BAAE61-7371-48CE-82D8-E10AFAEE7A5A

Time Awake Since Boot: 3400 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Illegal instruction: 4
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4
Terminating Process:   exc handler [850]

Application Specific Information:
CoreSimulator 704.12.2 - Device: iPhone SE (2nd generation) (E13AD6AD-6437-4A57-B9F4-CAEC3FDBAD36) - Runtime: iOS 13.5 (17F61) - DeviceType: iPhone SE (2nd generation)

For the full error: https://pastebin.com/EKJkb5i7

3 Answers

I just had the same issue and solved it by executing the following commands in a Command Prompt with Admin privileges, to disable AVX/AVX2 support for my virtual machine (Make sure to shutdown the VM and close Virtualbox before and replace "YourVMName" with the actual name of your VM in VirtualBox)

cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\"
VBoxManage setextradata "YourVMName" VBoxInternal/CPUM/IsaExts/AVX 0
VBoxManage setextradata "YourVMName" VBoxInternal/CPUM/IsaExts/AVX2 0

I have the same issue with iOS 13.3 simulators. I couldn't solve the problem, but devices with older iOS (I tried with 11.4) working fine. (You can create simulator devices with older iOS in the Device Manager.)

SIGILL usually means you hit a __builtin_trap() or you are trying to execute an instruction that isn't supported by your CPU.

Given this is in some HEVC processing, I suspect your VM is advertising support for some SIMD extension it doesn't actually support (eg: AVX2 or similar).

You should check your VM configuration and ensure it is not advertising support for CPU extensions your system doesn't actually support, and you should file a bug against VirtualPC to ensure they have checks in place to prevent that in the first place.

Related