Can I preview/run my CSS and HTML code before I upload it to WordPress?

Viewed 179

I'm a coding novice who wants to create their own blog page.

I've been studying HTML and CSS using Codecademy. I blog through wordpress.org with Bluehost as the hosting platform.

  1. what free programmes out there will allow me to run/preview my HTML and CSS code to see if it works?

    • or is there a plugin available for WordPress that I should install?
  2. how do I then upload my HTML and CSS code to my wordpress.org blog (via Bluehost)

    • there is an upload button which allows me to select a .zip file but what should this contain? I'm assuming it should contain my HTML file and my CSS file

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

2 Answers

You can write your HTML in notepad if you want. But I reccomend using an editor. Good beggining programs are Sublime Text (https://www.sublimetext.com/3) and when you get comfortable, Visual Studio Code (https://code.visualstudio.com/). You should create a folder with all your files - index.html (it doesnt have to be index but must end in .html), main.css (css file), and javascript file. This is beggining front-end To "run" the code simply right click and choose "open with google chrome" (or any other browser). I am not very familiar with WordPress but i suppose you can upload that project folder to it. I hope I helped...

Also watch a few html css and js tutorials...

edit: This is basic front-end and you are not running your website on a server only viewing what it will look like.

Answering your first question: you can download and use Visual Studio Code, it's free and you have the option to run your files in a live server as seen in the photo below.

enter image description here

Related