I've been trying on this for a couple of days and I'm hopelessly stuck. To fully understand how java key store works, i've been trying to create my own keystore, put some stuff inside it, then retrieve them from another program.
Here's my keystore generator :
{
//generate a X509 certificate
Security.addProvider(new BouncyCastleProvider());
CertificateFactory certificateFactory = CertificateFactory.getInstance("X.509", "BC");
X509Certificate certificate = (X509Certificate) certificateFactory.generateCertificate(new FileInputStream("certificate.cer"));
LOGGER.debug("BouncyCastle provider & X509 certificate added.");
//generate a private & a public key
KeyPair keyPair = generateRSAKeyPair();
RSAPrivateKey priv = (RSAPrivateKey) keyPair.getPrivate();
RSAPublicKey pub = (RSAPublicKey) keyPair.getPublic();
//generate a keystore
KeyStore ks = KeyStore.getInstance("PKCS12");
char[] keyStorePassword = "keystore_password".toCharArray();
ks.load(null, keyStorePassword);
try (FileOutputStream fos = new FileOutputStream("TestKeyStore.jks")) {
ks.store(fos, keyStorePassword);
}
ks.load(new FileInputStream("TestKeyStore.jks"), keyStorePassword);
//Symmetric key
SecretKey secretKey = KeyGenerator.getInstance("AES").generateKey();
KeyStore.SecretKeyEntry secretKeyEntry = new KeyStore.SecretKeyEntry((secretKey));
KeyStore.ProtectionParameter protectionParameter = new KeyStore.PasswordProtection(keyStorePassword);
ks.setEntry("symmetric_key", secretKeyEntry, protectionParameter);
//Asymmetric key
X509Certificate[] x509Certificates = new X509Certificate[1];
x509Certificates[0] = certificate;
ks.setKeyEntry("asymmetric key", priv, keyStorePassword, x509Certificates);
//certificate
ks.setCertificateEntry("test_certif", certificate);
Key key = ks.getKey("symmetric_key", keyStorePassword);
System.out.println("I have this symmetric key : " + key);
X509Certificate certificate1 = (X509Certificate) ks.getCertificate("test_certif");
System.out.println("I have this certificate : " + certificate1);
System.out.println(ks.aliases().nextElement());
LOGGER.debug("all went well");
}
As you probably noticed, it's not all polished: my goal for now is only to put some stuff inside the keystore. But the point here, from the last System.out.println(ks.aliases().nextElement());, is just to see there is indeed something inside the keystore. And this is working just fine, it gives back symmetric_key.
Now, from the same folder is another class that is supposed to read from that keystore.
Note: there is no issue regarding the file (I've tested by moving its localization) so it can't be that.
KeyStore ks = KeyStore.getInstance("PKCS12");
char[] keyStorePassword = "keystore_password".toCharArray();
ks.load(new FileInputStream("TestKeyStore.jks"), keyStorePassword);
System.out.println(ks.containsAlias("symmetric_key"));
This always gets me: false
If I try this: System.out.println(ks.aliases());, it's always null
If I try this:
if (!keystore.aliases().hasMoreElements()) {
System.out.println("nothing inside the keystore");
}
it gives me back nothing inside the keystore.
Even though it's not the case in the generator.
Any clue? Thank you