google colab with google cloud storage data egress

Viewed 470

enter image description here

I'm trying to teach my network on data that is stored in google cloud storage. I'm teaching using google colab pro resources and when I do that, I got around 50$ bill a day for "egress between NA and EU". I'm located in Russia and data storage is in Germany so I have absolutely no idea why this data egress to NA. How can I stop this behavior and why does it happen, because I don't want to pay for something I don't really need.

Link between storage and colab looks like this:

#downloading gcsfuse
!echo "deb http://packages.cloud.google.com/apt gcsfuse-bionic main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/gcsfuse.list
!curl https://packages.cloud.google.com/apt/doc/apt-key.gpg | apt-key add -
!apt -qq update
!apt -qq install gcsfuse
#Mounting Raw folder
!mkdir raw
!gcsfuse -o nonempty raw-images-dng-storage /content/raw 

#Mounting tiff folder
!mkdir tiff
!gcsfuse -o nonempty expert-c-images-tiff /content/tiff 
1 Answers

Google Colab server is run in USA (North America).

So, to avoid network cost, you should host your gcs bucket in USA as well (instead of Germany).

Related