I'm new (and to stack overflow, this is the first question I have ever asked) to python, I have been self-teaching myself for a couple of weeks. I was doing some beginner projects when I decided to make a hangman ai.
#importing
import random
import time
import sys
from collections import Counter
#---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#defining some variables
list_of_words = open("dictionary.txt", "r")
list_of_words = list_of_words.read().split()
SYMBOL = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"
#---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#main game loop
def main():
while True:
print("\nGenerating word...")
word = list_of_words[random.randint(0, len(list_of_words) - 1)].lower()
word_guess = []
wrong_attempts = 0
wrong_letters = []
game_state = True
for symbol in word:
if symbol in SYMBOL:
word_guess.append("_")
else:
word_guess.append(symbol)
word_show = " ".join(word_guess)
word = list(word)
while game_state != False:
print("\n" + word_show)
print("\nWrong attempts [{0}/5]" .format(wrong_attempts))
if len(wrong_letters) > 0:
print("\nLetters guessed [{0}]" .format(", ".join(wrong_letters)))
letter = "-"
while letter not in SYMBOL or letter == "" or len(letter) > 1:
try:
letter = input("\nGuess a letter or enter 0 to call the ai: ")
except:
print("\nUnexpected error ocurred, try again")
if letter == "0":
correct_letters = [letter for letter in word_guess if letter in SYMBOL]
letter = ai_solver(wrong_letters, word_guess)
elif letter in wrong_letters or letter in word_guess:
print("\nYou already guessed letter [{0}]" .format(letter))
letter = ""
if letter in word:
for i in range(len(word)):
if letter == word[i]:
word_guess[i] = letter
else:
wrong_letters.append(letter)
wrong_attempts += 1
word_show = " ".join(word_guess)
if "".join(word_guess) == "".join(word):
print("\nYou won!")
game_state = False
elif wrong_attempts == 5:
print("\nYou lost!")
print("The word was [{0}]" .format("".join(word)))
game_state = False
option = input("\nWant to play again?[Y/N]: ")
if option.lower().startswith("n"):
sys.exit(0)
def ai_solver(letters_attempted, word_guess):
letters_attempted = letters_attempted if len(letters_attempted) != 0 else ""
available_words = []
for word in list_of_words:
append = False
if len(word) == len(word_guess):
append = True
for i in range(len(word_guess)):
if word[i] in letters_attempted:
append = False
break
if word_guess[i] != "_":
if word[i] != word_guess[i]:
append = False
break
if append == True:
print("[{0}]" .format(word))
available_words.append(word)
common_letters = [letter for letter in "".join(available_words) if letter not in word_guess]
common_letters = Counter("".join(common_letters)).most_common(1)
return common_letters[0][0]
main()
What I tried to do is, to filter all the possible words that have the same length as word_guess.
Then filter out any words that contained a letter that was guessed incorrectly by checking letters_attempted.
Then it would filter out all words that had letters that did not match with word_guess.
if word_guess[i] != "_":
if word[i] != word_guess[i]:
append = False
break
Although it works fine, sometimes it would lose, what can I add to increase the chances of winning? Thank you!