Erratic cursor movement and clicks on Dell laptop with Ubuntu 20.04

Viewed 1617

I recently removed Windows from my laptop and installed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. After a short while my cursor would move randomly and laptop would trigger left clicks.

I initially though my machine got hacked, so I disabled the internet but it obviously didn't work. STUPID!

I found similar problems by other users but it mostly went away by restarting the touchpad input driver.

sudo modprobe -r psmouse

This didn't solve anything either.

What I noticed later was that the erratic movement and click only trigger whenever I pressed Ctrl or Shift keys on the keyboard. This led me to think that something is not wired probably within the keyboard. The keyboard also has an in-built tracking stick with its own mouse buttons. So I went ahead and disabled the tracking stick.

xinput set-prop "<track stick name>" "Device Enabled" 0

This solved my problem and I haven't observed it again.

Is there any other explanation to this? This never happened on Windows. Despite this Ubuntu wins in all other requirements from me.

0 Answers
Related