VS Code Python installation and Python Interpreter not recognized

Viewed 16757

I am getting this message on the VS Code that "Python is not installed. Please download and install python before using the extension."

There is also no *"Python Interpreter"* to select. When I click on it it shows it empty.

I do have Python and Python extension installed and I do have virtual environments set up in the Anaconda navigator but for some reason, I am not able to use them. I tried many ways like reinstalling the Python, Anaconda, and VS Code and also the Python extension for VS code but it's not solving the issue. What could be the reason? I have attached a screenshot of the VS Code as well. Pleae click here to see the screenshot

Thanks for your help.

4 Answers

I tried many methods but none worked. So then I removed this extension "Anaconda Extension Pack by Microsoft" and it solved the issue. So anyone facing the same issue might try uninstalling this extension.

I once faced similar problem and i found out that by default vs code looks for /usr/bin/python however in some cases on linux and mac the path is /usr/bin/python3 or 2 , so you can fix it by declaring python3 as default version .

open terminal and type the following command

sudo apt install python-is-python3

check the installation using -

python --version

it should give the output as 3.x.x

I reinstalled VS Code as is - not changing existing libraries etc - and now VS Code recognises Python/ paths again. :) After updating to Windows 11 I think it just needed a refresh.

This is interpreter error. you have to click on interpreter error showing bottom right in vs code then you choose installed latest python version. enter image description here

Related