gitlab-reconfigure blocked on redis after reinstalling gitlab on ubuntu 18.04.4LTS

Viewed 4882

This is the third time I install gitlab on server and never had issues before.

I decide to reinstall gitlab-ce ( 12.10.0 ) after dealing with issues on 12.9.0.

Before installing the new version, I had ensured that all gitlab files where removed and reboot the server.

Step1: Uninstall gitlab 12.9.0

# gitlab-ctl stop
# gitlab-ctl uninstall
# apt-get remove --purge gitlab-ce
# find / -iname "gitlab" then try to remove all outputed files
# init 6

Step 2: Fresh install gitlab 12.10.0

# apt-get update
# apt-get install gitlab-ce=12.10.0-ce.0

Then I updated my /etc/gitlab/gitlab.rb file according to my server config.

Finally, I executed:

gitlab-ctl reconfigure

The processes was blocked on :

ruby_block[wait for redis service socket] action run

Any solutions ?

2 Answers

The link provided by Manuel Richarz indicated there might be different lines upon which the installation may hang, one of them being the ruby_block[wait for redis service socket] action run line your question is about.

Their proposed solution is to open a new terminal and run:

systemctl restart gitlab-runsvdir.service

This worked for me for the ruby_block[wait for logrotate service socket] action run line.

7 years later, and the systemctl restart gitlab-runsvdir.service command in a secondary terminal did the trick quite well. Directly after executing this command, install no longer hangs and continued and finished all well.

Related