Does DynamoDB charge for the table deletion?

Viewed 526

I need to delete most items from a large table (billions of entries) in DynamoDB.

My two options are to delete the entire table or do a scan and therefore delete in batches. This second option counts as read/write capacity. But I would like to know if deleting the entire table at once charges me as write capacity of DynamoDB.

2 Answers

According to here

The following describes how DynamoDB write operations consume write capacity units:

  • PutItem
  • UpdateItem
  • DeleteItem
  • BatchWriteItem

The following describes how DynamoDB read operations consume read capacity units:

  • GetItem
  • BatchGetItem
  • Query
  • Scan

To delete table you need to use DeleteTable, which is not in the list of read or write operations. It doesn't count as capacity unit consuming operation, therefore it shouldn't be charged.

There is no charge for deleting a table. I opened a bug with the docs team to add this info to the documentation.

Related