I have a Perl application which is used in two contexts: It can be used as a diagnostic tool which displays information about a system, or as a testing tool which sends Modbus commands to that system. The problem I have is that allowing the user to send commands to the system in a diagnostic context is a potential safety risk, so I want to create two executables: A testing version that includes the Modbus module and a diagnostic one that does not.
My current solution is to include the Modbus module like this:
BEGIN { eval { require Modbus; }; Modbus->import; }
This only includes the Modbus module if I use the option -M Modbus while building the .exe with PAR Packager. The issue with this approach is that it fails unless this is the only place where Modbus is imported. So if another developer who isn't aware of this risk comes along, it only takes one require statement to bypass this fix.
Is there a way for me to prevent a specific module from being included in the executable unless I explicitly want it to be (either with the -M option or some other method)? I've been trying to figure something out with Devel::Hide, but haven't had much luck. All the solutions I've found so far fail the "other developer who doesn't know about this" test.
I'm using Strawberry Perl 5.20.3.3, but I can upgrade if necessary.