I am fairly new to Jenkins and CI/CD in general, but believe that I have searched long enough to conclude things are not as I expect.
I want to do some frontend tests on my website and just as in real life I want to test with the site in one Docker container and the database in another container. Jenkins has this documented as "sidecar" containers which can be part of a pipeline.
Their example:
node {
checkout scm
/*
* In order to communicate with the MySQL server, this Pipeline explicitly
* maps the port (`3306`) to a known port on the host machine.
*/
docker.image('mysql:5').withRun('-e "MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD=my-secret-pw" -p 3306:3306') { c ->
/* Wait until mysql service is up */
sh 'while ! mysqladmin ping -h0.0.0.0 --silent; do sleep 1; done'
/* Run some tests which require MySQL */
sh 'make check'
}
}
The thing is that I do not have a 'traditional' Jenkins pipeline, but I am running Jenkins Blue Ocean instead. This gives me a fancy pipeline editor, but also my pipeline code (Jenkinsfile) looks really different from the example:
pipeline {
agent {
docker {
image 'php'
}
}
stages {
stage('Build') {
steps {
sh 'composer --version'
sh 'composer install'
}
}
stage('Tests') {
steps {
echo 'Do test'
}
}
}
}
So how would I be spawning (and tearing down) these "sidecar" containers in a Blue Ocean pipeline? Currently the Pipeline editor has no available options if I want to add a step related to Docker. Can I still use docker.image? I do have the Docker Pipeline plugin installed.
