So I want to creata a time stamp (as a string) with the format HH:MM:SS in C++. I use std::chrono to get a unix time stamp and then calculate the hours, minutes and seconds.
// Get unix time stamp in seconds.
const auto unix_time_stamp = std::chrono::system_clock::now();
long long seconds_since_epoch = std::chrono::duration_cast<std::chrono::seconds>(unix_time_stamp.time_since_epoch()).count();
// Calculate current time (hours, minutes, seconds).
uint8_t hours = (seconds_since_epoch % 86400) / 3600;
uint8_t minutes = (seconds_since_epoch % 3600) / 60;
uint8_t seconds = (seconds_since_epoch % 60);
// Create strings for hours, minutes, seconds.
std::string hours_string = std::to_string(hours);
std::string minutes_string = std::to_string(minutes);
std::string seconds_string = std::to_string(seconds);
// Check if the number is only one digit. If it is, add a 0 in the beginning (5:3:9 --> 05:03:09).
if(hours_string.size() == 1)
{
hours_string = "0" + hours_string;
}
if(minutes_string.size() == 1)
{
minutes_string = "0" + minutes_string;
}
if(seconds_string.size() == 1)
{
seconds_string = "0" + seconds_string;
}
// Append to a final string.
std::string time_stamp = hours_string + ":" + minutes_string + ":" + seconds_string;
This is all working fine and great but there is one big problem: time zones. With this way, I'm only calculating the time stamp for GMT. Is there any easy, fast and, most importantly, portable way to get the "offset" in seconds or minutes or hours for your system's time zone? By "portable" I mean platform-independent.
Please note: I know you can do all of this more easily with std::strftime and so on, but I really want to implement this by myself.