Problem connecting to jupyter notebook server over ssh

Viewed 1241

I used to be able to set up a connection from my home to my work machine's (different network) jupyter server just fine. It stopped working without any obvious reason. My macbook can still connect, so the remote is fine.

I set up server with:
jupyter notebook --no-browser --port=8887

And then I try to forward with:
ssh -N -L localhost:8887:localhost:8887 $user@$host

but this always times out:
connect to host $host port 22: Connection timed out

Logging into the remote machine via ssh terminal works fine. Any ideas how to find the issue? Thanks in advance.

1 Answers

Try:

jupyter notebook --no-browser --port=8888

(You might get another number like 8889. If you get another then you have to change the number below as well.)

Then open a new terminal and enter: (remember to change remoteuser@remotehost)

ssh -N -f -L localhost:8889:localhost:8888 remoteuser@remotehost

Look at this post for more detailed information and a walkthrough: https://ljvmiranda921.github.io/notebook/2018/01/31/running-a-jupyter-notebook/

Related