icu-config not works but already installed

Viewed 590

I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

my question is simple. icu-config does not work. but icu-devtools is already installed in my system.

this is my terminal screen

$ icu-config
The program 'icu-config' is currently not installed. To run 'icu-config' please ask your administrator to install the package 'icu-devtools'

$ sudo apt-get install icu-devtools
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
icu-devtools is already the newest version (65.1-1+ubuntu16.04.1+deb.sury.org+1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 67 not upgraded.
1 Answers

65.1-1+ubuntu16.04.1+deb.sury.org+1 is not ubuntu 16.04's 'normal' ICU package. I found that https://launchpad.net/~ondrej/+archive/ubuntu/php/+build/18742140 was built with --disable-icu-config which … disables icu-config!

Try using pkg-config instead with the names as given here: https://unicode-org.github.io/icu/userguide/icu/howtouseicu.html#c-makefiles (icu-uc and icu-i18n). If I knew about pkg-config, and it was widely propagated enough, I wouldn't have written icu-config! icu-config is now deprecated, and there is more detail about that in that same URL.

Related