Legacy C# and VB Expression Evaluators in Visual Studio 2019 16.5+

Viewed 1096

I am working with ArcObjects 10.4 in my .NET Project and I need "Use the legacy C# and VB expression evaluators" option to watch variables while debugging. After updating Visual Studio 2019 to version 16.5 there isn't an option to turn it on. It only shows an empty place where this option should be.

Place where missing option should be

Is there any way to turn it on or am I stuck with VS 2019 16.4?

1 Answers

I found way to turn it on. In CurrentSettings.vssettings file located in "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\16.0_xxxxxxxx\Settings" there is

<PropertyValue name="UseVBCSLegacyExpressionEvaluator">0</PropertyValue>

setting it to 1 makes legacy evaluator work again.


UPDATE

There is an easier way to turn this option on.

  1. In Visual Studio export settings using Tools > Import and Export Settings... > Export selected environment settings > Next > Select only Debugging in Options node > Next > Finish.
  2. Edit exported settings file and change

<PropertyValue name="UseVBCSLegacyExpressionEvaluator">0</PropertyValue>

to

<PropertyValue name="UseVBCSLegacyExpressionEvaluator">1</PropertyValue>

  1. Import back settings to Visual Studio using Tools > Import and Export Settings... > Import selected environment settings > Yes, save my current settings > Next > Browse... > Next > Finish.
Related