Unable to incorperate an online picture in a report using R markdown and knitr

Viewed 218

I am trying to include a picture file from the internet in my R Markdown report. I am hoping to print this out on to a pdf file. However, whenever I try to run my code, I get a LaTeX file not found error. The picture exists on the web, I just can't seem to be able to bring it into my report.

My code:

```{r, out.width = "50%"}
include_graphics("https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2e/MC_Drei-Finger-Faultier.jpg/330px-MC_Drei-Finger-Faultier.jpg")
```

My error is this: ! LaTeX Error: File `https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2e/ MC_Drei-Finger-Faultier.jpg/330px-MC_Drei-Finger-Faultier' not found.

The picture in question: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2e/MC_Drei-Finger-Faultier.jpg/330px-MC_Drei-Finger-Faultier.jpg

I am using:

  • knitr v 1.28
  • rmarkdown v 2
  • on a mac
1 Answers

To display an image from a URL in a pdf, you have to first download the file. You may need a different mode depending on your OS.

```{r, out.width = "50%"} 
myurl <- "https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2e/MC_Drei-Finger-Faultier.jpg/330px-MC_Drei-Finger-Faultier.jpg"

download.file(url = myurl, destfile = 'temp.jpg', mode = 'wb')

knitr::include_graphics('temp.jpg')
Related