My pip is broken on Windows, how can I fix it?

Viewed 6041

Whenever I try to use pip, using any command I get this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.8_3.8.1008.0_x64__qzc5n2dfsdra8p0\lib\runpy.py", line 194, in _run_module_as_main
    return _run_code(code, main_globals, None,
  File "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.8_3.8.1008.0_x64__qzc5n2dfsd8p0\lib\runpy.py", line 87, in _run_code
    exec(code, run_globals)
  File "C:\Users\SE\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.8_q3.8_qzc5n2dfsd8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python38\site-packages\pip\__main__.py", line 23, in <module>
    from pip._internal.cli.main import main as _main  # isort:skip # noqa
  File "C:\Users\SE\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.8_qzc5n2dfsd8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python38\site-packages\pip\_internal\cli\main.py", line 10, in <module>
    from pip._internal.cli.autocompletion import autocomplete
  File "C:\Users\SE\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.8_qzc5n2dfsd8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python38\site-packages\pip\_internal\cli\autocompletion.py", line 9, in <module>
    from pip._internal.cli.main_parser import create_main_parser
  File "C:\Users\SE\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.8_qzc5n2dfsd8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python38\site-packages\pip\_internal\cli\main_parser.py", line 7, in <module>
    from pip._internal.cli import cmdoptions
  File "C:\Users\SE\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.8_qzc5n2dfsd8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python38\site-packages\pip\_internal\cli\cmdoptions.py", line 24, in <module>
    from pip._internal.cli.progress_bars import BAR_TYPES
  File "C:\Users\SE\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.8_qzc5n2dfsd8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python38\site-packages\pip\_internal\cli\progress_bars.py", line 8, in <module>
    from pip._vendor.progress.bar import Bar, FillingCirclesBar, IncrementalBar
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pip._vendor.progress'
PS C:\Users\SE> No module named 'pip._vendor.progress'No module named 'pip._vendor.progress'

I am on Windows 10, 64 bit, Python version 3.7.7.

I cannot use pip, how can I fix it?

3 Answers

If pip is broken after an attempted upgrade to a newer version, try the following:

  1. Download get-pip.py and "Save As" the file using right-click.

  2. Open a command prompt as an administrator

  3. cd to the path where you saved the file, in my case cd C:\Users\xyz\Downloads> then type python get-pip.py. It will install all required packages, such as wheel and pip.

  4. To check if it installed correctly, type pip --version in the command line.

Hope my answer helps someone. Happy coding.

Try doing python -m pip install pytest. This should install it, and it will make it usable by your IDE.

Hope this helps!

You could follow the equivalent steps mentioned here and here (Both are closed issues on pip's github page) on your windows machine.

On windows you can do this:

python -m pip uninstall pip setuptools # Sometimes setuptools might be the problem

This will uninstall pip and setuptools.

After which you can reinstall them using

python -m ensurepip

This will install pip and setuptools.

I have tried this on my windows 10 machine running Python 3.7.4!

Related