Boot hangs: A start job is running

Viewed 1644

In a virtual box I have a Debian that I sometimes want to run without X. So I edited /etc/grub.d/10_linux and added another menu item with a kernel option "nox" appended. Then I added a line to /lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service, Section [Unit]:

ConditionKernelCommandLine=!nox

However, when starting this, it hangs with the message:

A start job is running for Hold until boot process finishes up (56min / no limit)

Thank you, systemd for informing me about that. I wouldn't have noticed. Yet, I would like to know, which job it is that's hanging.

The system allows me to connect via SSH, but none of the systemctl or journalctl commands I tried did tell me the name of the service causing the problem. lightdm.service itself seems to be satisfied.

Thanks in advance, Bertram

1 Answers

I known it's a but late, but I just found out that one can use:

systemctl list-jobs

to find out what units are waiting or running at any given moment.

By adding systemd.debug-shell=1 to the kernel command line, a root shell will be available on TTY9 (crlt+alt+F9) to run the command above.

I first tried "systemd-analyze", and that gave me the message about "systemctl list-jobs".

hope this helps someone with similar problems.

Related