Why does Github desktop is showing an error?

Viewed 998

I have been working on my front end coding project and I tried updating my Github origin. However, there's an error when I tried to push origin. I uninstalled and reinstalled Github desktop but it seems like it's showing the same error. Could someone help me figure this out? Please let me know and thank you so much!

github error message

2 Answers

That kind of error message was followed in 2017 by desktop/desktop issue 2623

The system cannot find the path specified.
error: unable to read askpass response from 'C:\Users\Alca\AppData\Local\GitHubDesktop\app-0.8.0\resources\app\static\ask-pass-trampoline.bat'
fatal: could not read Username for 'https://github.com': terminal prompts disabled

Solution:

Just wanted to comment that a previous installation of Miniconda had created a AutoRun key at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\

Deleting the key fixed this problem for me.

But there is also an related issue involving Git LFS. If you don't have activated LFS though, it should not be a problem.

I was having same problem minutes ago.

The error message was similar with you. The message was containing path: "C:\Users\[myusername]\AppData\Local\GitHubDesktop\app-2.6.0\resources\app\static\ask-pass-trampoline.bat"

Try this:

1. Ctrl+R 

2. Type regedit 

3. Go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Command Processor

And check Autorun(String value) is set or not

If the Autorun has any value, remove the value and try Github desktop. Otherwise, idk.

My Github desktop(2.6.0) worked with this solution.

I think the problem was caused by myself or other program who did manipulated the registry long ago.

Related