I have a dataset which includes socioeconomic indicators for students nationwide as well as their grades. More specifically, this dataset has 36 variables with about 30 million students as predictors and then the students grades as the responses.
My goal is to be able to predict whether a student will fail out (ie. be in the bottom 2%ile of the nation in terms of grades). I understand that classification with an imbalanced dataset (98% : 2%) will introduce a bias. Based on some research I planned to account for this by increasing the cost of an incorrect classification in the minority class.
Can someone please confirm that this is the correct approach (and that there isn't a better one, I'm assuming there is)? And also, given the nature of this dataset, could someone please help me choose a machine learning algorithm to accomplish this?
I am working with TensorFlow 2.0 in a Google Colab. I've compiled all the data together into a .feather file using pandas.