I hope this is an easy fix
I originally wrote a clean and easy script that utilized gawk, I used this first and foremost because when I was solving the original issue was what I found. I now need to adapt it to only use awk.
sample file.fasta:
>gene1
>gene235
ATGCTTAGATTTACAATTCAGAAATTCCTGGTCTATTAACCCTCCTTCACTTTTCACTTTTCCCTAACCCTTCAAAATTTTATATCCAATCTTCTCACCCTCTACAATAATACATTTATTATCCTCTTACTTCAAAATTTTT
>gene335
ATGCTCCTTCTTAATCTAAACCTTCAAAATTTTCCCCCTCACATTTATCCATTATCACCTTCATTTCGGAATCCTTAACTAAATACAATCATCAACCATCTTTTAACATAACTTCTTCAAAATTTTACCAACTTACTATTGCTTCAAAATTTTTCAT
>gene406
ATGTACCACACACCCCCATCTTCCATTTTCCCTTTATTCTCCTCACCTCTACAATCCCCTTAATTCCTCTTCAAAATTTTTGGAGCCCTTAACTTTCAATAACTTCAAAATTTTTCACCATACCAATAATATCCCTCTTCAAAATTTTCCACACTCACCAAC
gawk '/[ACTG]{21,}GG/{print a; print}{a=$0}' file.fasta >"species_precrispr".fasta
what I know works is awk is the following:
awk '/[ACTG]GG/{print a; print}{a=$0}' file.fasta >"species_precrispr".fasta
the culprit therefore is the interval expression of {21,}
What I want it to do is search is for it to match each line that contains at least 21 nucleotides left of my "GG" match.
Can anyone help?
Edit:
Thanks for all the help: There are various solutions that worked. To reply to some of the comments a more basic example of the initial output and the desired effect achieved...
Prior to awk command: cat file1.fasta
>gene1
ATGCCTTAACTTTCAATAACTGG
>gene2
ATGGGTGCCTTAACTTTCAATAACTG
>gene3
ATGTCAAAATTTTTCATTTCAAT
>gene4
ATCCTTTTTTTTGGGTCAAAATTAAA
>gene5
ATGCCTTAACTTTCAATAACTTTTTAAAATTTTTGG
Following codes all produced the same desired output:
original code
gawk '/[ACTG]{21,}GG/{print a; print}{a=$0}' file1.fasta
slight modification that adds interval function to original awk version >3.x.x
awk --re-interval'/[ACTG]{21,}GG/{print a; print}{a=$0}' file1.fasta
Allows for modification of val and correct output , untested but should work with lower versions of awk
awk -v usr_count="21" '/gene/{id=$0;next} match($0,/.*GG/){val=substr($0,RSTART,RLENGTH-2);if(gsub(/[ACTG]/,"&",val)>= usr_count){print id ORS $0};id=""}' file1.fasta
awk --re-interval '/^>/ && seq { if (match(seq,"[ACTG]{21,}GG")) print ">" name ORS seq ORS} /^>/{name=$0; seq=""; next} {seq = seq $0 } END { if (match(seq,"[ACTG]{21,}GG")) print ">" name ORS seq ORS }' file1.fasta
Desired output: only grab genes names and sequences of sequences that have 21 nucleotides prior to matching GG
>gene1
ATGCCTTAACTTTCAATAACTGG
>gene5
ATGCCTTAACTTTCAATAACTTTTTAAAATTTTTGG
Lastly just to show the discarded lines
>gene2
ATG-GG-TGCCTTAACTTTCAATAACTG # only 3 nt prior to any GG combo
>gene3
ATGTCAAAATTTTTCATTTCAAT # No GG match found
>gene4
ATCCTTTTTTTTGGGTCAAAATTAAA # only 14 nt prior to any GG combo
Hope this helps others!