Is it possible to allow emitting values from a Flux conditionally based on a global boolean variable? I'm working with Flux delayUntil(...) but not able to fully grasp the functionality or my assumptions are wrong.
I have a global AtomicBoolean that represents the availability of a downstream connection and only want the upstream Flux to emit if the downstream is ready to process.
To represent the scenario, created a (not working) test sample
//Randomly generates a boolean value every 5 seconds
private Flux<Boolean> signalGenerator() {
return Flux.range(1, Integer.MAX_VALUE)
.delayElements(Duration.ofMillis(5000))
.map(integer -> new Random().nextBoolean());
}
and
Flux.range(1, Integer.MAX_VALUE)
.delayElements(Duration.ofMillis(1000))
.delayUntil(evt -> signalGenerator()) // ?? Only proceed when signalGenerator returns true
.subscribe(System.out::println);
I have another scenario where a downstream process can accept only x messages a second. In the current non-reactive implementation we have a Semaphore of x permits and the thread is blocked if no more permits are available, with Semaphore permits resetting every second.
In both scenarios I want upstream Flux to emit only when there is a demand from the downstream process, and I do not want to Buffer.